"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The :D Playlist

In my Ipod, my wonderful, sometimes-malfunctioning Ipod, I have a playlist. The title of which is ":D". Why? Supposedly, this playlist contains my favorite songs. These are the songs that I would listen to above every other song in my Ipod, when it's all said and done. I've analyzed and scrutinized the meaning of the :D playlist and I think, at this point of time, that these really are my favorite songs. Of course, I've changed the contents in the past. And I will change them again eventually. For now, let us take a closer look at the current list and discover what each of them means to me.

And oh my lord did I really write that last paragraph??

(Playcount order, in reverse)

15. (Tie) 221 times played each

A. The Way I Was - Maroon 5

My Take: I think I wrote about the lyrics already once before so I won't try and rehash it. I like the song. It's my favorite song off of the album. It's a bonus song and I'm glad they included it. I like how it starts, it comes in with a crash and the song just stays strong through it all.

Favorite Lyric: "Making love to a picture frame one more time tonight."
(Get past the really creepy image and you got yourself a line that's both melancholic in substance but peppy in delivery.)

B. Always Be My Baby - David Cook

My Take: Quite possibly the greatest song to ever come out of American Idol ever. For one whole summer, this was THE song. Patrick and I used to sing this all the time. In the caf, the conyo bench, walking around, in the car, at magis..."Welcome back David Cook." What bothers me about this song though? The fact that his back-up vocals are female. Am I the only one who finds that weird?

Favorite Lyric: "We will lingerrrrr ooonnnn!!!"

14. Ever After - Bonnie Bailey (223 times played)

My Take: I got brainwashed, what else can I say? This song should've only lasted the week that I listened to it like 160+ straight times. But hey, for some reason, I love it. It's long as hell but it's catchy. Cheers.

Favorite Lyric: Don't have one. Hmm.

13. Before It's Too Late (Sam and Mikaela's Theme) - Goo Goo Dolls (226 times played)

My Take: One of my favorite movies ever needs a song to go with it. Here it is. It's another ballad that tries to capture the magic of 'Iris' but fails to do so. It's still pretty good though.

Favorite Lyric: "So stand on the edge with me, hold back your fear and see, nothing is real til it's gone."

12. Follow Through - Gavin DeGraw (235 times played)

My Take: Gavin DeGraw, I will always call you underrated. And I like that you aren't as popular as people think you are. Sure they know about "I Don't Want to Be." But that's more because of One Tree Hill. I think this song is better than that though. It's powerful but not too much. It tells you a story, a story that anybody can relate to. Songs that do that are aces in my book.

Favorite Lyric: "So, since you want to be with me, you'll have to follow through with every word you say. And I, all I really want is you."
(If you know the song, you'll notice I kind cut the end of the line there. But hey, read it again. Doesn't that sound pretty cool?)

11. Inconsolable - Backstreet Boys (239 times played)

My Take: I have to admit, I wasn't sold on this song at first. But after repeated listenings...it grew on me. Another thing I have to admit, I think this song makes it on to a Top 5 BSB songs list. I really do. It's haunting and beautiful and just strangely alluring. You can hear the maturity in their music. I'll get a lot of flak for this but I'll stand by it. This is a great song.

Favorite Lyric: "Coz baby! I don't want to waste another day, keeping it inside is killing me coz all I ever wanted comes right down to you."

10. Signal Fire - Snow Patrol (251 times played)

My Take: Another song that I've written about in the past. What else is there to say? It's a great song. It came with a horrible (*sheds a tear for Spider-Man 3*) movie but it almost made up for it. I know it helped me through that summer.

Favorite Lyric: "The perfect words never crossed my mind coz there was nothing in there but you."
(Admit it, that's pretty awesome.)

9. The Mixed Tape - Jack's Mannequin (259 times played)

My Take: For no other reasons but because it was on One Tree Hill and because the whole song just kicks ass.

Favorite Lyric: Can't pick one because there isn't a really a strong lyric by itself in this song. You appreciate the whole song.

8. Wait For You - Elliott Yamin (260 times played)

My Take: Senti. Sad. Emo. Confessions of undying love. Of course this is a Jeri song. Haha.

Favorite Lyric: There are too many to choose from haha.

7. Because of You - Ne-Yo (277 times played)

My Take: I dance to this song in my room. Yes, dancing Jeri. For those who don't know, I was dance club in the grade school from grades 3 to 5. Yes, gay Jeri. Back to the song okay? Lyrics are catchy, the beat gets you going and the message, well, I kinda like it.

Favorite Lyric: "I try and try but my obsession won't let me leave."

6. For Blue Skies - Strays Don't Sleep (292 times played)

My Take: Sad. The saddest song I know. Yet, the feeling I'm left with after the song plays, everytime without fail? Hope. Also, this was used in a pivotal moment on One Tree Hill.

Favorite Lyric: I don't think I want to have a favorite lyric from a really sad song haha.

5. I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys (306 times played)

My Take: This is only 5th on the number-of-times played list but that's because we aren't couting the uncountable number times I've listened to this song over the years. Hands down my favorite song ever. The greatest Backstreet Boys song ever. Period. You cannot be a fan if you don't think this is their best song ever.

Favorite Lyric: The whole frakking song. But if I must: "You are, you are, you are, you are! Don't want to hear you!"

4. Let Me Love You - Mario (324 times played)

My Take: Listen to this song. Isn't this the song that should be the lead single off of the soundtrack to my life? Haha.

Favorite Lyric: "You should let me love you, let me be the one to give you everything you want and need."

3. Stolen - Dashboard Confessional (327 times played)

My Take: Doesn't this song apply to me like 5 times every year? Haha. I have 3 different versions of this song. This version is the regular one, not the one they used as the single. This one's slower than that. It's kinda sadder. Also more awesome.

Favorite Lyric: "You have stolen my heart."
(Duh.)

2. As Lovers Go - Dashboard Confessional (362 times played)

My Take: Okay so now we all know that I'm a fan of Dashboard Confessional. I think we all knew that. Kinda like Let Me Love You in its message. Very upbeat. I find that this song is the one song that is unlike the rest of their offerings. That's a good thing.

Favorite Lyric: "I'll be true, I'll be useful, I'll be cavalier, I'll be yours my dear."

1. She Will Be Loved (acoustic) - Maroon 5 (441 times played)

My Take: This is my senti song. This is the song I want playing when I actually do something romantic that doesn't blow up in my face. Haha. The original version is one of the best songs ever too. It's just that the acoustic version is so much more passionate.

Favorite Lyric: "I don't mind spending everyday, out on your corner in the pouring rain. Look for the girl with the broken smile, ask her if she wants to stay a while."


5 comments:

triplewgf said...

Yung "As Lovers Go" used to be my song. Senti amp.

Ano nga ba tawag sa dance club sa GS?

Poca said...

always be my baby --> destiny moment sa kotse track 100...hahaha

BAKITT WALANG...

WALTZ
favorite lyric: I.HATE.YOU.
hahaha

Jeri said...

@Leon: Dance Club lang talaga. Haha.

@Pat: Didn't we change that last line? Haha. I. LOVE. You.

Destiny moment + Wallpaper ng PS3 mo. Haha.

Nelly said...

i love for blue skies by strays don't sleep! :)

hahaha! wala lang, random. hi jeri! long time!

Jeri said...

Whoa Nelly! I didn't see this until now. Haha. Hello!