"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Because You Lived

"The board is set. The pieces are moving."

"The deep breath before the plunge."

"For Frodo."

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

Stop.

Stop right there.

Well? I'm waiting. You've got the next line bro. I can't quote LotR all by myself...



...One year later, it still does not make sense.

* * *

I remember Arjay texting me in the middle of 24. I remember talking to him on the phone minutes later. Balma next. The Y!M conference. The truth.

I remember the funeral parlor. I remember being together again for the first time in years. I remember how bittersweet that moment was.

And I remember the pain.

* * *

I'm sorry we figured it out too late. I'm sorry we weren't there for you. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. I'm sorry it took your passing to realize how special you were. I'm sorry you weren't here to enjoy it. I'm sorry we made you think that no one cared.

The proof was in those next few days. Did you see it? Could you believe it? We celebrated you like the hero you were. Everyone, everywhere came to pay their respects. That was your moment bro. I hope you saw it from up there. Because man, you were like a rockstar. Did you see it? Your life, YOUR LIFE and not your death led to that moment. Because if you're life did not matter, no one would have been there. No one would've cried. No one would've signed on those boards. And I wouldn't be here reminding everyone of you.

We should not forget that the reason we care and we remember is not because he died, but because he lived. Because he lived his life to the fullest. Because he reached for everything and anything he could dream up with that signature GabbyD charm and passion. Because he'd stare down the most insane, most difficult of challenges and say, "Fuck it, let's do this." Because he'd danc the night away when no one else could even work up the courage to get on the floor. Gabriel Martin Doller, for everything that he was, was first and foremost, the definition of awesome. Teh awesome. Every single time, he left you in awe of his ability and skill, and because of his heart and kindness. Shameless, shirtless and superlative. A truly honorable man. That's how he rolled. And that's what I'll remember. That's what we'll all remember. And well, the bow ties too.

I am thankful for becoming close to you, privileged to call you my classmate and honored to call you my friend. Excuse me, my mellon. Continue to watch over us and look after us. And I hope you're at peace.

Forever fornever.

No comments: