"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Friday, March 28, 2008

Hot Summer

No, the title is not in any way referencing the present climate.

Hot Summer is about a horse. A painting of a horse, to be exact. Let me explain.

There is a portrait of a horse above this computer I am using. This is no ordinary horse that was randomly selected by the artist to be his subject for some random painting one day. This horse is Hot Summer. He was, if memory serves me correctly, THE horse of the Favis stable back in the 70's. He was a magnificent race horse who won my grandfather a lot of races back in the day. As far as my father and his uncles are concerned, Hot Summer is part of the family. His portrait now sits proudly on the wall of the second floor of our house. (The artist is Roberto Balajadia--first and last time I'm ever gonna write his name.)

Hot Summer the horse. The Favis Horse. To me, that's just very cool. I mean, how many people can say that their family's history, their legacy was built around horses? Honored Hot Summer was one of the many horses my raised and bred back in the day. My grandfather was Horse Racing Commissioner of the Philippines for a time in the 70's or 80's I believe. There was even a race in his honor, which we attended. There was a trophy, even. These days? The ranch still proudly stands in Tigbao, Masbate.

Sorry for the very unusual post but the thing this, seeing Hot Summer's portrait everyday made me think about the legacy of my family.Where I came from. It's making me think about where I'm going. Where I'm heading towards. What's my legacy gonna be like? Will I have my own portrait one day hanging over my grandson's computer (or whatever computer-like device he'll own in the future)?

......

Yeah, that's too for ahead. I'ma go play 2k8 with my brother now. Haha.

No comments: