"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Inception

Inception. Definitely not lame. Amazing? Sure, what the hell. The effects, mainly, were kinda friggin' awesome (my theater called it "2D Digital," whatever that is) and convinced me that Joseph Gordon-Levitt could play Spider-Man. The characters, who we are supposed to care about, were generally engaging even if I felt that they weren't as fleshed out as they could possibly be. Leonardo Di Caprio, was a fine leading man even if his dialogue was confusing. He was doing a lot of explaining in the movie and really, most of it just went through my head like, "Oh okay. So?" but it was fine really. Could have done with out all the Ellen Page-y exposition though. I would've liked to see a little more of how the team bonded because they seemed to be a little too focused on team-play when they hardly were a merry band at the beginning of the movie (Levitt's and Tom Hardy's characters were definitely not friends before the mission). I am thankful that Nolan didn't play the "traitor" trope in this one though. I was waiting for it the whole time like crazy but I am glad that nothing of the sort happened even if it made me feel anxious about the whole forced camaraderie thing. My guess? Levitt, Cobra Commander himself OR Ken Watanabe's character, who I really have a hard time with. His motivations were, as we were led to believe, fueled by practicality, mostly. I wish there was something more sinister to it since the film lacked a villain. Sure, you could argue that the villain was actually Cobb (Di Caprio's character) but his triumph didn't feel all too triumphant given how it ended. Plus, Nolan forced Page's Ariadne too much. It didn't feel organic, her care and concern for Cobb.

All in all, however, Inception is a really fun (and really long) movie. The action scenes were inspired, especially the chase scene in the Mombasa streets and the concepts were really something else. Watch it now and tell me what you think happened in the end.

No comments: