"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Days of the Week

I only ever seem to be able to post on Mondays. I guess it's because the American news cycle doesn't really start until Tuesday here in the Philippines (thanks to the time difference) so I get today off to focus on the blog rather than browsing my favorite websites.

I may be in the minority, but I really don't hate Mondays. I know a lot of folks make that claim (and I do too on some occasions) but for me, I don't find the first day of the week all that bad. Maybe it's because of the metaphorical weekend hangover which dilutes the effects of the dreaded day or the fact that there's still enough "new" to keep me blinded from the OH NO IT'S MONDAY AGAIN blues.

Now, Tuesdays are a different story. See, Tuesdays, I don't like. For some reason, probably because of its place in the week, I feel the least amount of hope when I wake up on Tuesday mornings. It's that 'bleh' day when you haven't gotten quite past Monday yet and are nowhere near Friday. On the bright side, the internet is usually a buzz this day since, as mentioned, the American websites are all posting new stuff again.

The midpoint of the week, I argue, really isn't the exact middle of the work week. I tend to see Wednesdays as the third day of the week, automatically making it seem closer to Friday than Monday, even if it's temporally equidistant to both. There's a little more energy in trying to finish the day and get to the next day, which all in all seems to be my favorite day of the week.

Thursdays, for me, represent the most hopeful day of the week. You're on the fourth day of the work week, which makes seem like you've gotten through most of your trials and challenges for the week and are on the cusp of the weekend. If the week were like a marathon, Friday, the finish line would be in your sights. All your hopes and dreams are being fueled by one thought, "It's Friday tomorrow." Plus, how could you not love a day named after the Mighty Thor?

Fri-day! And what some might say the best day of the week. I love the day too; TGIF, right? Sometimes though, I find that there is a manic, overeager pace to the day that often robs it of its potential greatness. Like, we're in a rush to do so many things on Friday that we overexert ourselves and try to do too much in so little time. You have to remember, for most people there is still work on Friday and thus, Friday nights can become a little too tiring. Do too many things and you might just wear your body out, wrecking the rest of the weekend. However, I do subscribe by the notion that you should go out on Friday night. If you really want to maximize your weekend, starting out on a Friday is the best way to do it. Makes the weekend seem longer. At the same time, you avoid "waiting" on Friday night for Saturday to come, thereby wishing that Friday was done sooner. It's preposterous, right? But admittedly, I've felt that way too on nights when I was stuck at home because my plans were for Saturday.

Saturdays are over too quick. The old adage, "time flies when you're having fun" is never truer than on Saturdays when you wish the whole week could be spent with your friends and loved ones. Personally, Saturday is my favorite day because it's when I get to see my girlfriend. The only problem is, after dinner and a movie, you find yourself at the end of another Saturday, wishing that you had more time.

And finally, we get to Sunday, the Lord's day, family day, rest day, and everything else you want to call it. Sunday kinda gets the unfair reputation of being 'the day before Monday.' What is one half of your weekend is treated as an extra weekday because we can't help but see what comes after. Homework and assignments need to be finished; you remember the tasks you left unaccomplished at work last Friday; the realization that another grueling work week is upon you is making you stressed -- All of a sudden, Sunday isn't as relaxing as it should be anymore. And that isn't Sunday. I guess I'm for taking back Sunday (naks) and making it what it was originally intended to be: a day of rest. Resting by relaxing or by doing the things you love. Put off work first, you've got five other days for that.

We seem to live life in manageable week-sized doses. If so, all seven days are blessings and opportunities. Hating on one day and loving the other does not make sense, if our reasons for doing so are their assignments in the order. Each has the same potential for greatness. The goal moving forward should then be to enjoy each one for its own unique characteristics. Love the days because once they're gone, you will never get them back.


No comments: