"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Shadows and Promises

Remembering the past is always bittersweet. You're sad because it's over but happy because it happened. The thing they forget to mention about reminiscing about the good old days? It sucks when you know it won't ever happen again.

Case in point, whenever my mind wanders down memory lane (as it is wont to do), and it finds its way to the memories surrounding basketball, a small smile struggles to form on my face. There are a lot of good, even great memories of me playing basketball, from years of playing the game that I love. Enough highlights to last me at least an hour's worth of conversation, I would say. But as these blurry images become clearer and more focused in my mind's eye, they just as quickly vanish, like shutting off the television. Because it pains me to remember what I used to be able to do and realize that in my current state, I can't do those things anymore. It is a defeat more crushing than any of the losses I've endured. So final, so damning. I didn't stop being good; I let myself go. I am not the player I once used to be, a shadow of my former self. (And who I was before wasn't even that good as I have led you to believe, what more now?)

So here we are at the point in the movie where our protagonist has fallen and seemingly cannot get up. Whatever obstacles are blocking his way are there to stay. That is, until our hero decides that they aren't.

This is the comeback. This is the uphill climb. Cue the music, it's time for the training montage. For my own sake, I gotta get back up there. I gotta give it one more try. I've got to, because ever since six months ago, I've got more at stake. Simply put, this is the time of my life where I have to be the best that I can be. I'm in the prime of my life, wasting it would be a crime.

So this is the promise. This is where I gamble and bet on me. This is where I tell you, and begin to show you. This is where I get my Druid on. (For everyone who won't get that reference, read Marvel Comics' Secret Warriors by Jonathan Hickman, you won't be disappointed.) It's in writing now, on the internet, I'm not taking this back. Hear that internet? I'm making a promise and I'm writing it on you. You know I'm serious.

I'm putting this all here so that I can look at it everyday and remind myself that I need to do this. So that if I fail, I know where to look to get back at it again. And so that when I succeed, I'll know when and where it all began.

As I type this, I've already worked out tonight. Let's keep it up. Everyone loves a good comeback story, right? Cheer for me internet. It's time to put on a show.

1 comment:

Gretchen Makee Wilwayco said...

We can do this together. :) (And pahiram ng Secret Warriors!) :p