The year is almost over, and I am way behind on updating this thing, but there's still time and I'm in the mood to talk about movies.
It seems every upcoming year's slate of movies is worthy of "I can't wait for" status. Next year's crop is no different, which is no small feat after 2013's great list of films (Iron Man 3, This Is The End, Pacific Rim). Without further ado, here are the movies "I can't wait for" in 2014:
7. Transformers: Age of Extinction - Because Peter Cullen is still Optimus Prime.
6. Godzilla - The HALO jumping sequence in the trailer is the counter to Pacific Rim's 'Go Big' solution to fighting giant monsters. Parachuting and special ops team is a 'small ball' tactic. So basically this is the Miami Heat, while Pacific Rim is the Indiana Pacers. Wait, I'm lost. Basically, HALO JUMPING ONTO GODZILLA.
5. The Hobbit: There and Back Again - The Eagles are coming! We're getting an epic LotR final battle in this movie and for that alone, I am excited.
4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - The suit looks better and for that, I am thankful. And this is (so far) the only place to get a Peter Parker Spider-Man, what with he being dead in the comics (it's complicated). I only wish people start to learn how to spell "Spider-Man" correctly.
3. X-Men: Days of Future Past - Fox's answer to Marvel/Disney's The Avengers unites actors from two eras of X-Movies, bringing the likes of Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy together under the guidance of original X-Men director, Bryan Singer. Read that sentence again, and try to fathom why this movie is not getting Avengers-level hype and excitement. To top it all off, this is the lead in to the next movie, involving this guy.
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Captain America, Black Widow, Nick Fury, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. This is basically Avengers 1.5. Honestly, this is second on the list but it should really be number 1A. The tone of the movie doesn't feel like a superhero movie which is a good thing. It also helps that they've used Cap's 'Super Soldier' costume this time around, making him look less goofy. I am so stoked for this.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy - Honestly, this, for me, is bigger than The Avengers. Sure, to most (myself included) that was a dream come true. But Guardians of the Galaxy? Starring Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon and Drax The Destroyer? WTF how does this movie even get pitched? We are now living in a world where this obscure Marvel comic starring C-list characters is now being turned into a movie franchise. This is not a popular comic. It has got its fans, don't get me wrong, and I'm one of them, but did anyone ever believe that it would one day be turned into a live-action film? Fark no. This, this is the proof that nerds truly have taken over. Wait, actually, no. If and when this movie does well critically and commercially, that's the moment. Because Marvel would've proven that it can do whatever the hell it wants and we are all better for it.