"It is critical you pay attention at this time..."

I need to increase my readership haha
- JFav

Monday, January 24, 2011

Verb-Noun-For-Reason Part 1: Read Fables for Boy Blue

So I came up with this impeccable idea a minute ago, which is a stroke of genius if I say so myself (or not). Regardless of the length of time and amount of effort I put into the genesis of this idea, when it is all said and done, I think this might just kick-start my blogging career. See, I've been trying to come up with my own schtick, a real reason for me to actively and diligently blog and I think I've found it. Instead of doing like a movie-review blog or whatever, which I never seem able to fully commit to, I've decided to expand on my micro-blogging a.k.a. my Twitter-ing (follow me here) and basically annoy you all more efficiently and effectively with what really amounts to longer Twitter updates. See, Twitter's inherent weakness (being too short) has trumped its inherent strength (ease) in a good way. If that makes sense. Basically, in an effort to convince you of their awesomeness, I'm going to be able to give longer answers as to why you too should like the things I like and deem awesome all. Get it? Aw, to hell with it. Let's just get this show started. Ladies and gents (like there is a plural amount of people reading this...), I welcome you to the first edition of Verb-Noun-For-Reason (Catchy title, right?) or VNFR for short.

Read Fables for Boy Blue.

Fables is a comicbook series published by Vertigo written by Bill Willingham and drawn (mostly) by Mark Buckingham about classic fairytale characters or "Fables" such as The Big Bad Wolf, Snow White, Prince Charming and many more, if they weren't just make believe and were actually alive and real, existing in our "mundane" world. The book mixes its curious premise with an engaging story and really strong character work, not to mention all those pretty pictures to create a wildly entertaining read.

Over the past few years, Fables has seen its fanbase grow larger and larger all the while maintaining the respect of many in the industry. It's definitely one of the best books out there today and has just recently passed the century-mark (100 issues). So why should you read it? Two words: Boy Blue.

Based on the children's nursery rhyme Little Boy Blue, this Fable might be small in frame and stature but through the course of the series, you discover how frickin' fantastic he actually is. Though you first meet Blue as the seemingly meek clerk of Fabletown's offices, he is also a war hero (even if he wishes he wasn't), is handy with a (Vorpal) sword - SNICKER-SNACK! - and is a gifted musician as well. He is one of the series' lead characters and has a hefty share of amazing adventures and stories, making him one of, if not the most popular, characters in the series. The problem for our dear hero? The guy has no luck with the ladies. Boy Blue is THE unrequited romantic. He is passionate, caring and kind, but fails when it comes to love and relationships simply because of bad luck and poor timing. Whether it's accidentally leaving behind Red Riding Hood as he escaped from the evil forces of the Adversary or acting too late to make known his true feelings for Rose Red (Oh yeah, Blue's got a thing for Red's), there is always something to derail a potentially spectacular relationship. How can you not feel bad for the guy? Sure, you may idolize him for rocking a bitchin' Witching Cloak, single-handedly infiltrating the enemy's capitol and having a higher kill count than most Fables but because he gets his heart broken more often than not, the guy is instantly relatable. And if there's one thing audiences love, it's the upstanding, capable and noble young lad who just can't land the girl.

Essential Boy Blue stories:
Fables vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers,
Fables vol. 6: Homelands
Fables vol. 11: War and Pieces
Fables vol. 12: The Dark Ages

No comments: